Sunday, October 16, 2011

Remember Who You Are

I came across a Father's Day card from my son this past week which I currently have staring at me from my desk. It reads, LIFE ISN'T ABOUT FINDING YOURSELF. LIFE IS ABOUT CREATING YOURSELF.

It's one of those conundrums that I can't seem to let go of, because part of me has often said that our quest in life is to discover who we are. Didn't young Simba's father return to tell him, "Remember who you are" while Simba wandered about in the worry-free dream land of Hakuna Matata? Finding yourself is a worthy quest. Discovering that we've got royal blood and a high calling.... these things are all good.

But creating oneself is an equally important task, and challenging. It's a future orientation that recognizes the power of our choices today, in the now. It implies an active participation on our part. Decisions. Making value judgments regarding various paths. Even high anxiety because something is at stake. You. Who you are and what you will be.

In some ways it's like being on a railroad track. At certain points there are alternative directions we can take, but we really can't see where the tracks will lead. We make choices and soon find ourselves in a different setting, with different scenery.

Bruce Barton's quote comes to mind. "Sometimes when I consider what tremendous consequences come from little things... I am tempted to think there are no little things."

Make the most of your day... and the life that is ahead of you.

No comments:

Popular Posts