Saturday, October 5, 2013

Spotlight on Florida Photographer Scott Dovey

I met Scott Dovey at a special occasion in Florida. The occasion was getting a chance to see my cousin Liz whom I'd not seen since... maybe my youngest brother's wedding around two decades ago. We met at a restaurant on the waterfront surrounded by sandy beaches, a pier and the salt air. In addition to his passion for capturing the amazing natural beauty of that part of the country, he also has a passion for riding motorcycles, a passion that he shared with my cousin Liz and their circle of friends. 

Of himself he writes on his website, "I appreciate and love life. It doesn’t matter what the activity is, as long as I can share it with friends and family. My beliefs are extremely important to me, as are honesty and integrity... I don’t believe that money can make someone happy, but I do think financial independence is something to strive for." 

EN: When did you first take an interest in art? Who were your early influences?
SD: Art has always been interesting to me. The earliest I can remember any influence was in elementary school from the art teacher. I don’t recall her name though.

EN: You like to draw. Have you always done that? How does one become good at draftsmanship?
SD: I am not so much of a drawer. I think the drawing you’re seeing on my page is my son Ryan’s work. He’s pretty talented, but then again, I’m biased.

EN: Which came first the photography interest or art?
SD: I think the art was first, but photography followed very early. My first camera was one of those 110mm models. But, the film needed to be developed and that cost money. Something this 7 maybe 8 year old didn’t have much of. Later when I was older, in my mid-teens I got a Pentax A3000 my first 35mm camera. Still though the developing and film cost was too much. The Pentax was damaged sometime in one of my many moves while I served in the U.S. Navy and so I was again camera less. Until, recently when Liz bought me my Sony SLTA65 DSLR digital camera. There are no film or developing costs with this guy! That’s when I decided to try my hand at selling some photography online and wound up @ Redbubble.com
 
EN: What other media do you work in?
SD: I am learning Photoshop and graphic design. You can see some on T-Shirt designs in my portfolio.

EN: Is this your full-time avocation? What was your career path as an artist?
SD: No, unfortunately it does not pay the bills. I would love to be able to do it full time but unfortunately the bills are a bit more than the income this generates. At least for now. Who knows what the future holds as I continue to improve my skills? I’ve never had a career path in art unfortunately.

EN: How has the internet changed things? Do you sell much work online?
SD: Well, since it doesn’t cost anything to have a Redbubble account, it provides a no overhead way to share my work. I’ve sold a little but not nearly as much as I would obviously like to. Haha As I’m sure you can imagine. But like I said earlier, who knows what the future holds?

EN: What do you find people have been most interested in of the things you do?
SD: Mainly my T-Shirt designs have been the top sellers, but the stickers and greeting cards do ok too. The photography has been a bit tough. I think that’s because people just don’t buy photography as much as they used to. That may be because of the thing that makes it easier for me to share my ware (the internet). Catch 22 perhaps?

EN: Obviously you like motorcycles. What is it about motorcycles that is so compelling to people?
SD: I can only speak for myself, but it’s a freedom like I’ve not know before. There is just something about the open road. The wind in your face, the power at your finger tips and the freedom to just go when and where you want. As long as time away from work and money allows that is. LOL Hopefully my sales will pick up from my art and photography and will make a little more time and freedom from work.


No comments:

Popular Posts