Sunday, March 29, 2015

Artist Olivia Cisneros Villanueva Revisited

I discovered San Antonio artist Olivia Villanueva through one of the art eNewsletters I get on a regular basis. Not only did the work I saw speak to me, I was also impressed by her story. Shortly after finishing high school she married and raised a family. It was only later in life, when her kids were grown, that her art career blossomed and flourished. Her work has been featured extensively in shows and galleries throughout Texas. She has also been featured in numerous publications including USA Today, and this month will see her work featured in a major exhibition in New York.

Or first interview took place in the spring of 2011 and from the start I found her paintings very exciting and dramatic. This is a follow up to that first interview.

EN: What are you working on now that has you jazzed?

Olivia Villanueva: Right now I am very excited to be showing my new paintings at the Artexpo in New York. It has been a major showcase for 37 years and is the largest international gathering of qualified trade buyers, gallery owners, art dealers, interior designers as well as architects and corporate art buyers. Bernard Solo Fine Art in New York City will be representing me there this April 23‐26 2015 and Art Basel Miami Florida in December. The first day of the Expo NewYork exhibition will be closed to the public and open only to museum art collectors, art dealers, serious art collectors and the media as well as celebrity VIPs. Bernard Solo Fine Art will be in the prime location in the very center of the main pavilion at Pier 94, 711 12th Ave. New York, NY. 10019‐5399

EN: Tell us more about your New York exhibition.

OV: The Artexpo New York will also be promoting a two-page article about my art in their magazine The Artist Showcase, I am very blessed and thankful for such an amazing opportunity to let thousands of art dealers, museum collectors and many others from all over the world to consider owning an Olivia original.

EN: We did this in 2011... what have you been working on the past three years?

OV: The past three years have been a spiral. I was not able to really paint for over a year and a half, due to a bout with sepsis that turned into septic shock in a matter of hours. The doctors gave me little to no chance of survival and had to revive me when all my organs starting shutting down. I had no idea I was dying! Until I started seeing the tears of my children. My words to them and in my heart were, this is just a test from God, pass it and you will see a miracle. Well I'm the living proof of what faith and believing can do. Just ask my doctors. They still can not believe I survived. I am still dealing with the aftereffects, but that is not keeping me from creating.

EN: Do you have a favorite medium and why?

OV: If I were to say I have a favorite medium then I would limit myself to so many other outlets to painting. I use many things to create, from found objects to paper. My favorite is to create with what is near to my heart. If it's not, then it is just a painting.

EN: What kind of music do you listen to while you paint?

OV: I listen to all types of music. When I paint figurative I like listening to Jazz, depending on the type of painting I'm working on a the time. I love working in high heels when I'm abstract painting. It gives me a sense of freedom. No rules, no boundaries.

EN: Where can people see more of your work?

OV: My new insights this year are moving forward with my art, not allowing any distractions when it comes to creating. The past few years have been the hardest, but keep in mind that we are the captain of our own ship. I stay away from negativity and keep to myself. I prefer to stay away from the art scene to create from my own being with no other influences. Finding one's self is most important when it comes to painting. I become one with the paint as it leaves my brush onto the canvas. This is the mystery to my creativity when it comes to art. There is no substitute to capturing the raw art in motion.

If someone would like to see more of my art they can contact me direct at oliviaarte at yahoo.com.


No comments:

Popular Posts