Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Local Art Seen: Sue Rauschenfels' Open House

This past month Sue Rauschenfels hosted an art opening in her home on the South Shore of Pike Lake. Rauschenfels is an artist whom I'd first gotten to know through her contributions to a Duluth Dylan Fest art show in 2014 and a subsequent show of her work at Beaners and Superior's North End Arts Gallery, which led to my interviewing her for  my column in The Reader at that time.

Upon entering her home one is struck by the light cascading off the glistening woodwork, showering into the rooms through an abundance of windows, providing ample light for viewing her work. The lakefront property, quietly poised on the waterfront, has a tidy feeling of warmth as you approach it, much like the paintings and pictures she creates, working in watercolor, acrylic, ink and/or collage.


Here are some photos I took of her paintings. The reflections on the glass and all the light flooding the room resulted in several happy accidents.


The colorations and expressions remind me of Marc Chagall.


I see vibrant pastel flowers dancing.

* * * *
Meantime, art goes on all around you. Engage it.

No comments:

Popular Posts